Public voting open for inaugural Mobile Phone Award winner at 2015 Sony World Photography Awards
Public voting opens today to decide the winner of the first Mobile Phone Award at the Sony World Photography Awards. Members of the public can choose from 20 spectacular shots shortlisted by an expert judging panel at www.worldphoto.org
The Sony World Photography Awards is the world’s biggest photography competition and this year it launched a new competition dedicated to mobile phone photography. The Mobile Phone Award was introduced in recognition of the increased accessibility the latest camera technology within mobile phones has given photographers of all abilities and the creative freedom this has allowed.
Photographers had just one month from 27th January to enter their best shots taken with any mobile phone. The competition received a staggering 10,293 entries from across the world in this short time.
A shortlist of 20 images has been compiled by the following experts from across the photographic industry:
- Anna Dickson, Deputy Director of Photography, Wall Street Journal, USA
- Chris Hudson, Group Art Editor, National Geographic Traveller, UK
- Anthony Lepinay, Photographer and Creative Director, France
- Alvin Soon, Associate Editor, HWM and HardwareZone.com, Singapore
- Evgeny Tchebotarev, CPO and Co-Founder, 500px, Canada
The 20 shortlisted photographers are:
- Craig Atkinson, UK
- Salvatore Calafato, Italy
- Monica Coteriano, Portugal
- Emanuel Faria, Portugal
- Henny Gylfa, Iceland
- Weronika Kaźmierczak, Poland
- Olga Nazarova, Russia
- Luca Laghetti, Italy
- Hamed Nazari, Iran (shortlisted for two images)
- Nuno Perestrelo, Portugal
- Atle Rønningen, Norway
- Ako Salemi, Iran
- Janos Schmidt, Hungary (shortlisted for two images)
- Gerard Trang, France
- Mijail Vallejo, Ecuador (shortlisted for two images)
- Carla Vermeend, Netherlands
- Helen Whelton, UK
The winner is now to be chosen via public vote at www.worldphoto.org
How To Vote
Members of the public simply go to http://worldphoto.org/mobshortlist/ to view all 20 shortlisted images and “Thumbs up” their favourite image.
The image with the most “Thumbs ups” will be named the winner and will be revealed at the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards gala ceremony in London on Thursday 23 April.
The winner will receive:
- A trip to London to attend the Sony World Photography Awards gala ceremony on 23 April
- Will be included in the 2015 Sony World Photography Awards Exhibition at Somerset House, London from 24th April – 10th May
- A Sony Mobile product bundle including the flagship Xperia™ smartphone and tablet.