It won’t be long now until the vacation is over and you need to get studying again. To help you on your way we have selected our top 10 of law school iPad apps – check this out…
Black’s Law Dictionary, 8th Edition
Black’s Law Dictionary 8th Edition is the definitive legal resource for lawyers, law students and laypeople alike. Edited by the world’s foremost legal lexicographer, Bryan A. Garner, Black’s Law Dictionary is known for its clear and precise legal definitions, substantive accuracy, and stylistic clarity — making it the most cited legal dictionary in print.
Black’s Law Dictionary 8th Edition for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch is the legal dictionary for how you work today. Hyperlinked cross-references make finding related terms quick and easy. Black’s Law Dictionary Digital for iPhone/iPad/iPod touch even offers audio pronunciations for thousands of hard-to-say legal terms.
• more than 43,000 definitions
• nearly 3,000 quotations from authorities drawn from sources over at least 5 centuries
• alternative spellings or equivalent terms and expressions are provided for more than 5,300 terms and senses
• internal hyper-linking between words referenced within definitions
• spelling and audio pronunciations
• real-time and progressive look up search feature
• audio pronunciations for over 7,000 terms
• off-line complete – no internet connection required for audio pronunciations
• citations to the legal encyclopedia Corpus Juris Secundum and to the West Key Number System®.
• Westlaw materials referenced in definition accessible within Westlaw.com* via hyperlinks (will pull up in Mobile Safari browser)
*Westlaw.com links require paid subscription access to Westlaw.com service
A legal library in your pocket.
*** INTRODUCTORY SALE OF ADD-ON MODULES ***
LawStack comes preloaded with the following:
✓ US Constitution
✓ Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (Dec. 1, 2009)
✓ Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure (Dec. 1, 2009)
✓ Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure (Dec. 1, 2009)
✓ Federal Rules of Evidence (Dec. 1, 2009)
✓ Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure (Dec. 1, 2009)
Looking for more? Browse the embedded collection and add items to your stack. Examples:
✓ Code of Federal Regulations
✓ United States Code
✓ California Codes
✓ Florida Codes
✓ Texas Codes
✓ Delaware Codes
✓ New York Codes
✓ Virginia Codes
✓ Many more…
NY Penal Law 2010 – New York Statutes
This application provides the full text of the New York Penal Code in an easily readable and searchable format.
– The full text of the New York Penal Code
– Fast "google style" full-text search to quickly find sections of interest
– Search within search results to narrow down matches
– No network connection required
– Very efficient – runs fast, and uses little memory
– Read the Penal Code in Portrait or Landscape mode
– Rotate your ipod/iphone to landscape mode for a larger font
The GOAL of this program is to give you a quick reference to Concealed Carry information for each state and provide Internet hyperlinks to state laws for more detailed information and research (find the answer you are looking for). The other goal is to keep you current and up to date with new data as laws and regulations change.
Gun Concealed is a complete, up to date application. It has the most robust content as the statistics below will show:
10 VIEWS PER STATE FOR A TOTAL OF 511 VIEWS
487 HYPERLINKS TO STATE WEB SITES
67 CHARTS OR GRAPHS
858 MS WORD PAGES OF INFORMATION
The Federal Rules wherever you have your iPad. From the folks who brought you the highly acclaimed series of law apps for your iPhone and iPod Touch, now you can have the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, Federal Rules of Evidence, Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure, and Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure all available with no network connection required.
Searchable, viewable hierarchically or rule by rule, bookmarkable … all the features you’ve come to love in our iPhone apps, but optimized for the iPad.
Note: this app provides some links to statutes – these links are only functional if other apps, such as "Title 28," are installed on your device.
Charter of the United Nations
Beginning with ‘We the peoples of the United Nations…’, this app contains all Articles of the Charter of the United Nations as well as an introductory note that outlines past amendments. It also includes the Statute of the International Court of Justice that forms an integral part of the UN Charter.
The law, in your pocket — iLegal is the world’s first mobile phone app that literally puts the law in your pocket. It is incredibly powerful yet brilliantly simple.
Available for just $69.95/£39.99, this revolutionary app enables you to access the revised text of all UK, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales legislation as well as Acts of the Parliament of Great Britain and English Parliament – anywhere, anytime. You don’t even need access to the internet since all the information is stored offline.
iLegal is perfect for solicitors, barristers, judges and law students as well as lecturers, teachers, journalists, historians and members of the public alike. It’s user-friendly interface allows you to find the legislation that you need quickly and easily, saving you time and money.
The brainchild of Timothy Leigh, a law student currently studying the Legal Practice Course, iLegal was built from the ground up by a team of expert developers based in the UK. Other exciting apps are set to follow soon.
– Comprehensive database of legislation
– Fast and intuitive user interface
– Offline access to all 4,976 items of legislation
– Browse legislation by year and title
– Search legislation by title
– Find text within legislation
– Bookmarks management
– E-mail legislation
– Copy text from legislation
– UK Acts (1801 to date)
– Measures of the General Synod of the Church of England (1920 to date)
– Revised Northern Ireland Orders in Council (1972 to date)
– Measures of Northern Ireland Assembly (1974)
– Acts of Northern Ireland Parliament (1921 – 1972)
– Acts of Old Irish Parliament (1495 – 1800)
– Acts of Northern Ireland Assembly (2000 to date)
– Acts of Old Scottish Parliament (1424 – 1707)
– Acts of Scottish Parliament (1999 to date)
– Measures of the Welsh Assembly (2008 to date)
– Acts of Parliament of Great Britain (1707 – 1800)
– Acts of English Parliament (1267 – 1706)
Fastcase for the iPhone/iPad is a free legal research application, putting the American law library in the palm of your hand. Fastcase contains cases and statutes from all 50 states and from the federal government. You can search by citation, keyword (in Boolean or natural language), or browse statute collections.
– Free, searchable library of American cases and statutes
– Keyword (Boolean), natural language, and citation search
– Browse or search statutes
– Most relevant results first
– Customizable, sortable search results
– Search results automatically display number of citing cases
– Jump right to most relevant paragraph of any case or statute
– Integrated research history
– Save favorite documents for use later
– Updated daily
Fastcase for the iPhone has won the prestigious American Association of Law Libraries New Product of the Year Award, and the iPad app includes great new features that take advantage of the larger screen area. Now you can view search results in a side panel while reading a document, enjoy portrait or landscape views, and see multiple levels of statute outline views.
Fastcase for the iPhone/iPad also uses smart search technology from Fastcase’s fully-featured Web-based legal research application, which allows you to sort the most relevant results to the top of the list, customize and re-sort search results, and integrate citation analysis tools right into the results list.
This application is free, but you’ll need to register an account so that you can save favorites and your own customized search history. There are tons of customizable features, so the more you use the Fastcase app, the better it fits you!
Fastcase’s desktop application (www.fastcase.com) is widely considered the smartest alternative for legal research – allowing visual mapping of search results, dual-column printing, and more complete citation analysis and sorting tools. Fastcase was founded in 1999 and has hundreds of thousands of subscribers from around the world.
The entire United States Code, loaded onto your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad so that you can access all federal statutes without using the internet.
Search, browse, or use legal citations to find the sections you’re looking for. Keep bookmarks, scroll through each chapter of the code as if it’s a book, and email code sections to yourself or others.
This app is provided as a free service by Shawn Bayern, an assistant professor at the Florida State University College of Law. It’s a personal project, not one that represents the university or anyone else.
Of course, it’s intended for informational purposes only, and it’s not meant to provide legal advice or legal services of any kind. You should always confirm that the information in this application is correct and still current law before relying on it.
I’m always open to comments and happy to improve the application if you have suggestions. I’d consider breaking off individual titles of the code, for example, if there seems to be interest in smaller versions.
PLEASE NOTE: A small number of users have apparently had difficulty installing this application through iTunes. The problem appears to be related to a bug in the Windows version of iTunes. If you install the application directly on your iPhone or iPad (over a wireless connection), that avoids the bug in iTunes. Apple and I are working to resolve the problem. It’s not a bug in this application, and the vast majority of users can install and run the application without encountering any problems.
Immigration & Nationality Act
Leave your heavy books at home. This indispensable reference material for immigration law practitioners and other legal professionals is now available as an application for your iPhone or iPod. The application contains the entire Immigration & Naturalization Act and allows for lightning fast browsing and search queries. As an added bonus, we have added a feature that allows you to email the desired sections of the Act to yourself or anyone else for future viewing and printing.
– Complete offline access – no network connection required
– Up to date content
– Lightning fast browsing
– Key word and citation searchable across the entire law or just in individual titles or chapters
– Option to email selected sections to yourself or others
– Settable font size
– Cross references
– Complete coverage of all titles and sections comprising the Act
– Applications Settings to disable the sections that you don’t frequently use