As part of our new section, ‘App of the Day’, we want to ensure that you’re up to speed with the very best photography, art and videography apps, across all platforms. The Google Play store is now bursting with photography apps, that more often than not, are also available on iOS too. Days of fragmentation with the Android system are fading and the hardware is good too. The Photographer’s Ephemeris (TPE) is a brilliant app and one that’s available across iOS and Android platforms. The Photographer’s Ephemeris is a powerful application to help you plan outdoor photography in natural light, especially landscape and urban scenes. It is a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
It must be pointed out that the Android version of this app is not as rich as the iOS version and this is reflected in the price. However, this app is hugely popular across both platforms and that’s simply because it is an essential tool for anyone who needing access to this information.
Just updated, TPE 4.0 offers a number of new features, making use of the Augmented Reality using ARKit – not to be missed!
Key Features (iOS version)
- Time and direction of sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset
- Phase of the moon and % illumination
- Times of civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- Graphical display on a wide selection of map types
- Two topographical/terrain map types
- Two offline map options
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Track curent heading using compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Does not require network connection for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
Advanced Features (iOS version)
- Automatic time zone detection for any location on earth
- Determines elevation above sea level
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon for any time of day/night
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import from KML or KMZ
- Location export via email as KML
- Display azimuths/bearings relative to magnetic north
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- ‘Golden hour’ time/duration
We wouldn’t ask if it was not necessary for the future of TheAppWhisperer.com… More people than ever are reading TheAppWhisperer.com and we could not be more excited about that. We bring you ad-free journalism every day, so you don’t have to close windows and be distracted with advertisements. We specialise in mobile photography and mobile art and we value all of our readers, writers, contributors and viewers but we do have costs and we do need to ask for your help. We at TheAppWhisperer spend many hours each day, each week and each month to bring you this high quality level of journalism. We do it because we are passionate about it and because we want others to be as passionate too.
If everyone who reads our website, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be so much more secure. Please help us by offering a contribution or supporting us with a monthly donation of your choosing.