We have interviewed Geri Centonze and published a previous tutorial of hers recently, if you’ve missed those, please go here. In this latest tutorial Geri takes us through the paces of creating an HDR image with a variety of apps, something perhaps you may not do currently. Take it away Geri (foreword by Joanne Carter).
There are many ways to create the look of HDR (High Dynamic Range imaging) including apps that do a pretty good job, but I prefer to use a variety of apps to get the HDR look I want.
Here’s the before photo, just a casino bus that was driving down the road (below).
Open in Snapseed. Crop if necessary, under Details, Adjust Structure +50, APPLY and SAVE (This will be Version 1).
Open Version 1 in PhotoForge 2. Adjust the Exposure to +1.70. Click on the checkmark to APPLY and then SAVE (this is Version 2).
Open the iCamera HDR app. Select Load a Photo and load Version 1. Then choose HDR option and load Version 2. iCamera HDR will combine the two images.
While in the iCamera HDR app, make the following adjustments (these could vary with your photo).
Select Tone Enhancer and using the adjustments on the right-hand side adjust:
Tone Mapping Strength +90
White Balance Temperature +7
White Balance Tint -3
Lens Correction Amount -30
Lens Correction Midpoint +30
Open the iCamera HDR saved image in Pixlr-o-matic and select a Filter you like. I chose Adrian. SAVE.
Open the most recent version in Snapseed again and adjust Structure +40, APPLY and SAVE.
Open most recent version in Filterstorm.
Under Filters select Vignette and adjust Radius to 0% and Brightness to -40. Click checkmark to apply changes.
While still in Filterstorm under Filters select Curves to bump up to the desired brightness hit mask paintbrush instead of the checkmark and when the new screen opens you will choose the paintbrush to do the highlighting. Select the brush tool and the settings box will open up. The settings I used were Diameter 175, Softness 100% and Opacity 25%. Paint in highlights where you want them. Click checkmark to apply and then SAVE image.
There was a little glint on the windshield and I wanted to make it stand out, so I took the most recent version into Lenslight and added the Glint effect lowering the brightness and adjusting the size to my liking. SAVE
Here is the final edited version.
Before & After
And here is a side by side comparison of the Before and After.