17 June 2015 – Update – I have now juried this part of the fabulous FIPA competition and my decision has been agreed with Andrea Bigiarini – the announcement will take place tomorrow the 18 June 2015 at 6 PM – CEST – that’s 5 pm London Time, 12 noon New York Time. Dilshad Corleone will read out the speech that I have prepared for the presentation of the Gates of Paradise Award as I cannot attend in person. There are two beautiful prizes and it’s going to be truly wonderful!
In association with the NEM the Florence International Photography Awards (FIPA), Joanne Carter TheAppWhisperer has created a special mobile photography/art competition, within the competition.
The theme is ‘Gates of Paradise’ Joanne selected this theme to honour the gilded bronze doors of Florence’s Baptistery of San Giovanni and as inspiration for all mobile artists to create a magnificent work of art; not depicting the literal ‘Gates of Paradise’ but to portray, what the ‘Gates of Paradise’ represent to you. Think widely a place of contentment, a garden, being with a loved one, a tranquil location to retreat in times of stress.
Only new images will be considered, images that have previously received awards in other competitions will be disregarded.
Twenty four images will be shortlisted and Judged by the Grand Jury with one winner awarded TheAppWhisperer Special Award and exhibited at the FIPA Space at Complesso Monumentale di Santa Apollonia in Florence with prize (to be announced).
To submit your images to this FIPA/TheAppWhisperer Pro Series Group, apply to join the group here and once accepted upload a maximum of three artworks to the group, with the hashtag #TheAppWhisperer_FIPA_Award – it is essential that you include this hashtag for your image to be accepted into this Award. All other rules are the same as for the Pro Series (see here).
More About The FIPA Event
Florence, Italy, is the cradle of the Renaissance and fine art and the home of the Fratelli Alinari (1845) pioneers of photography in the world. Always in step with the times and new forms of artistic expression, Florence will once again take center stage in 2015-2016 with a series of events called the Florence International Photography Awards (FIPA) to acknowledge and reward innovations in photography and Mobile Art.
The FIPA, a collaboration between the Tethys Fine Art Gallery and the New Era Museum, aimed squarely at Mobile Art, a new frontier of visual arts, is to be held twice during the next 12 months:
- Summer Session, June 17-18, 2015
- Winter Session, January, 2016 (specific dates TBA)
The dates of the two events will match of those of The Florence Fashion Week
THE FIPA AWARDS
- The New Era Museum Special Award, to a specific work in The Most Wanted Visionaries Collection Exhibition.
- The Patron Special Award, will be given by the MWV Patron, to a selected piece in the Most Wanted Visionaries Collection.
- The FIPA Honorary Award. A lifetime achievement award. This year’s award will go to Roger Guetta for his dedication to Mobile Photography and the radical impact of his vision and innovation on the Mobile Art Movement.
PRO SERIES AWARDS
- TETHYS FINE ART AWARD: A Critics Award to a Pro Series piece selected by the founders of Tethys Fine Art Gallery.
- INNOVATOR: A Pro Series piece, selected by the International Jury, that exemplifies innovative mobile art technique.
- BEST IN SHOW: Pro Series work considered by the International Jury to be best in show.
- THEAPPWHISPERER: Pro Series – Theme ‘Gates of Paradise’ – a juried special competition (see above).
THE MOST WANTED VISIONARIES (MWV) COLLECTION
The FIPA Most Wanted Visionaries Collection will be a curated exhibition held during the semi-annual FIPA events.
The exhibition will include a selection of 20 works from The Most Wanted Visionaries Catalog, specially printed and framed for the exhibition.
Artworks appearing in the MWV Collection will represent the best of Mobile Art, selected at the discretion of the FIPA and Tethys Fine Art Gallery members in collaboration with Andrea Bigiarini, founder of the New Era Museum.
Selections will be announced on May 1st, 2015, and each artist will be notified by Andrea Bigiarini, FIPA Artistic Director.
The MWV exhibition will be hosted for 3 weeks at the Tethys Fine Art Gallery in Florence, Italy.