iOS 11, Coming This Fall, Brings New Features That Make iPad Pro Even More Powerful
Apple today introduced an all-new 10.5-inch iPad Pro and a new 12.9-inch iPad Pro, featuring the world’s most advanced display with ProMotion technology and incredible performance with the new A10X Fusion chip. The new 10.5-inch model reduces the borders by nearly 40 per cent to fit into an incredibly compact package that still weighs just one pound. Combined with powerful new iPad features in iOS 11 coming this fall, like the all-new Files app, customisable Dock, improved multitasking and deeper integration of Apple Pencil, iPad Pro gives users the ability to be even more productive and creative.
“These are by far the most powerful iPads we’ve ever created with the world’s most advanced displays featuring ProMotion, the powerful new A10X Fusion chip and the advanced camera system of iPhone 7,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Product Marketing. “Together with iOS 11 these new iPad Pro models will radically change what users can do with iPad.”
The Most Advanced Display Featuring ProMotion
The stunning, redesigned Retina display in iPad Pro features ProMotion, a new technology that delivers refresh rates of up to 120Hz for fluid scrolling, greater responsiveness and smoother motion content. With ProMotion, Apple Pencil is even more responsive with an industry-best, 20-millisecond latency for even more fluid and natural drawing. ProMotion also improves display quality and reduces power consumption by automatically adjusting the display refresh rate to match the movement of the content.
The advanced Retina display is Apple’s brightest iPad display yet and features antireflective coating, making content easier to see indoors and out. True Tone dynamically adjusts the white balance of the display to match the light around you for a more natural and accurate viewing experience. A wide colour gamut enables iPad Pro to deliver digital cinema-standard colours.
Groundbreaking Performance Powered by A10X Fusion Chip
iPad Pro delivers groundbreaking performance, connectivity and versatility to tackle the most demanding tasks. The powerful new 64-bit A10X Fusion chip provides performance that is faster than most PC laptops shipping today, so tackling complex tasks like editing photos and 4K video, rendering 3D images or playing games feels effortless. A six-core CPU and 12-core GPU deliver up to 30 per cent faster CPU performance and 40 per cent faster graphics performance than the industry-leading A9X chip, while delivering all-day battery life.1
iPad Pro is the perfect device to shoot, edit and share pro-quality photos and videos. It features the same advanced front and back-facing cameras as iPhone 7, including a 12-megapixel camera with optical image stabilisation, along with a 7-megapixel FaceTime HD camera. iPad Pro also features a four-speaker audio system, providing powerful, clear and rich stereo sound in any orientation. An embedded Apple SIM2 and support for 802.11ac Wi-Fi and LTE Advanced3 make it easier to stay connected when traveling in more than 180 countries and regions.
Touch ID on iPad Pro is more responsive and gives users a simple and secure way to unlock iPad, keep personal information private within apps and approve purchases from the App Store, iTunes Store and iBooks Store. With Apple Pay on iPad, paying for physical goods and services within apps or on websites in Safari has never been easier.4
iOS 11 Introduces Powerful iPad Features
iOS 11, coming this fall, introduces powerful new features for iPad, including:
— a new customisable Dock that provides quick access to frequently used apps and documents from any screen;
— improved multitasking, including a redesigned app switcher that brings Spaces to iOS, making it easier to move between apps or pairs of active apps, used in Split View and now Slide Over;
— the new Files app that keeps everything in one place, whether files are stored locally, in iCloud Drive or across other providers like Box, Dropbox and more;
— Multi-Touch Drag and Drop, which is available across the system to move text, photos and files from one app to another, anywhere on the screen;
— a new document scanner in Notes, which lets users easily scan single or multi-page documents, removes shadows and uses powerful image filters to enhance readability; and
— deeper integration with Apple Pencil, with support for inline drawing to write along text in Notes and Mail, Instant Markup to easily sign documents, annotate PDFs or draw on screenshots, and a new Instant Notes feature, which opens Notes from the Lock Screen by simply tapping Apple Pencil on the display. New searchable handwriting makes it easy to search for handwritten text or characters.
Apple Pencil & Smart Keyboard
Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard, available for purchase separately, bring breakthrough levels of precision and utility to iPad Pro. Advanced sensors in Apple Pencil measure both pressure and tilt for natural drawing, annotating and note-taking. A new full-sized Smart Keyboard has been custom designed for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro, offering a thin yet durable keyboard that never needs to be charged or paired over Bluetooth and is easily foldable into a protective Smart Cover.
Pricing & Availability
• The 10.5-inch iPad Pro comes in silver, space grey, gold and rose gold and starts at $649/£619 for the 64GB with Wi-Fi model and $779/£749 for the 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro is available in silver, space grey and gold and starts at $799/£769 for the 64GB Wi-Fi model and $929/£899 for the 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model. For more information, visit apple.com/uk/ipad.
• The new iPad Pro models are available to order beginning today from Apple.com and will start delivering to customers next week. Both models will also be available next week in Apple Stores, through select carriers and Apple Authorised Resellers (prices may vary) in the US and 37 additional countries and regions, including Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. India, Turkey, UAE and other countries and regions will follow later this month. Brazil, Mexico, South Korea and other countries and territories will follow in July.
• Apple Pencil is available for $99/£99. The Smart Keyboard is available in charcoal grey for $159/£159 for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro and $169/£169 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro with layouts for over 30 languages, including simplified Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish.
• A new Leather Sleeve is available for both the 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro in a range of colours for $129/£129 and $149/£149, respectively. A new Apple Pencil Case is available in a range of colours for $29/£29. iPad Pro Smart Covers are available in polyurethane and leather in a variety of colours for $49/£49 and $69/£69 for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro and for $59/£59 and $79/£79 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro at Apple.com and Apple Stores.
• Every customer who buys iPad Pro from Apple will be offered free Personal Setup, in-store or online, to help them customise their iPad Pro by setting up email, showing them new apps from the App Store and more.5
• Anyone who wants to start with the basics or go further with their new iPad Pro can sign up for free sessions at apple.com/today.
1 Battery life depends on device settings, usage and other factors. Actual results may vary.
2 Embedded Apple SIM in iPad Pro (10.5-inch and 12.9-inch) may be disabled when purchased from some carriers. See your carrier for details. Apple SIM and embedded Apple SIM not available in China.
3 LTE is available through select carriers. Network speeds are dependent on carrier networks. Check with your carrier for details.
4 Apple Pay is not available in all markets. For a list of Apple Pay countries, visit apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#apple-pay.
5 In most countries.
While you’re here…
….we have a small favour to ask. More people than ever are reading TheAppWhisperer.com and we could not be more excited about that. We bring you ad-free journalism every day, so you don’t have to close windows and be distracted with advertisements. We specialise in mobile photography and mobile art and we value all of our readers, writers, contributors and viewers but we do have costs and we do need to ask for your help. We at TheAppWhisperer spend many hours each day, each week and each month to bring you this high quality level of journalism. We do it because we are passionate about it and because we want others to be as passionate too.
If everyone who reads our website, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be so much more secure. Please help us by offering a contribution or supporting us with a monthly donation of your choosing. Please will you help us?