We’re delighted to publish Mel Harrison’s first article for her brand new weekly column with us, entitled APPart. Mel has written a wonderful tutorial that many women will certainly intimately understand and one that all men and women will marvel at, with her incredible creative process to produce the most fascinating art from something quite mundane. Over to you Mel. (foreword by Joanne Carter).
Mitochondrial DNA is an image that has a lot of personal meaning to me. Mitochondrial DNA is passed down from mother to child virtually unchanged across the span of generations. As the mother of only sons it makes me sad that the DNA history of all the woman who went before me will stop with them.
This image started life as a native camera photo of the internal roof and skylight at my local hospital. I was waiting for my 3rd son to finish at an appointment and the air vent and panelled roof caught my attention.
I used the Photo Transfer App to transfer the image to my iPad 3.
Then the image went into Glaze, all my recent character work has Glaze as it’s first point of call. I don’t use one particular setting in Glaze, each image works differently so it really is worth taking the time to run an image though them all to see which one is most effective.
Next step is Juxtaposer, I use a stylus, and use the soft white masking tool to sculpt out parts of a character, this is a lot of back and forth, saving stamps and opening the image fresh again to start on the next part. I carve out the body, arms, head, feet etc individually then start a fresh image and construct them into the final character.
For mitochondrial DNA three of the images were placed on the background in descending size, I then arranged the curls/tendrils to link the 3 together and the single set in utero of each figure.
My next step was adding some texture in Photowizard, I added texture 5 and texture 6 in mid strength opacity.
Scratchcam was next for some extra grunge and texture. I am loving the new stamp feature in Scratchcam, if you have not updated yet make sure you do.
The next step was Snapseed and this was a step that I stumbled across quite by accident. I am really liking the old lens filter which is hidden in behind the center focus option. Using that filter and placing the center focus circle over the belly of the largest figure it created a lovely dark silhouetted image. I didn’t want quite that dark this time but I really loved the effect and will use it again.
I used image blender to balance out the silhouetted image with the pre-Snapseed image which added just a touch of depth to the colour.
Next I went into Paintfx to add brightness just to the bellies of the figures. Paintfx is excellent for selective placement of a very large range of effects. It is one app I would not be without.
Finally a crop in Snapseed and the image was finished.