We have a new section at TheAppWhisperer.com and it’s called ‘The Recipe I Can’t Live Without’, within that we are asking highly successful mobile artists to give us their one recipe they can’t live without in relation to editing their images. Kicking us off today, is Kerry Mitchell and she has created a recipe for her image of a camilla flower. To read the others in this new series, please go here. (foreword by Joanne Carter)
Cooks: In 30 Minutes
Difficulty: Not Too Tricky
Genre: Super Floral Family Classics
For my Recipe I chose a photo of a camellia that I turned into a painting with a few apps.
1. First here is the camellia before any editing.
2. I started in Formulas with Lilac Rose at 100%.
3. Next on to PicsCraft, the Lighting choice under edit at 91%. This is a little-known app but has some interesting effects I find helpful. In this case it warmed up the camellia. It also spotlighted it into the center. This was the effect I wanted.
4. For most of the rest of my Recipe I will be in iColorama/Style. First Style/Coherence/preset 2 at 65% opacity. This sharpens the camellia.
5. Then, Style/Water/preset 1. This is the watercolour painting effect. It not only gives the flower the painterly effect, but adds the paper cracks into the piece.
6. Style/ET Flow/preset 1. I really like what flow does to the flower. It adds some more painterly effects to the flower without overwhelming it.
7. Style/Coherence/Preset 1. I really like this preset. It is one of my go-to effects at the end of my edits. It sharpens your subject and seems to tie everything together. If it appears too sharp, you can always bring down the opacity.
Then to one final app:
Fantome & Vanilla
I could have left the camilla where it was. But I brought it into DistressedFX to see if I could add just a bit of a vignette to make the camellia pop just a tiny bit more. I could also have done this in Mextures.
This Recipe took me about 30 minutes. It can be time consuming finding a preset that you like in Formulas.
Hello again…please donate
We have a small favour to ask. More people than ever are reading TheAppWhisperer.com and we could not be more excited about that. We specialise in mobile photography and mobile art and we value all of our readers, writers, contributors and viewers but we do have costs and we do need to ask for your help. We at TheAppWhisperer spend many hours each day, each week and each month to bring you this high quality level of journalism. We do it because we are passionate about it and because we want others to be as passionate too.
If everyone who reads our website, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be so much more secure. Please help us by offering a contribution or supporting us with a monthly donation of your choosing.