We mentioned earlier this week that Halide Mark II was coming, well now it is here, sitting in the App Store! Halide is an App Store Editor’s Choice, award-winning camera from the team behind Spectre, Apple’s App of the Year of 2019. Halide is the most powerful camera for iPhone with the most elegant, simple design — A pro camera for everyone. So, you want to know what’s new in this verision? Take a look below…
“After 18 months of work, today we’re excited to launch Halide Mark II — Not just Halide’s biggest update yet, but a whole new app.
If you already bought Halide 1, we have great news: you’re getting Mark II for free!
Its new interface has been designed to be easier to use, with every control in reach for one-handed operation. It offers even more control, with: • all new gesture-based automatic and manual mode switcher • all new, reachable interface for older iPhones • ‘Tactile Touch’: automatic enabling- and disabling of features like exposure warnings and focus peaking and loupe as you adjust exposure or focus • new dynamic labeling of controls and actions to explain features and actions to users ;
• Coverage: a new feature that enables users to get the best of both worlds: with Coverage, Halide takes a photo with Smart HDR 2/3 and Deep Fusion with maximum quality and computational processing, as well as a RAW file. There is a small delay between these captures, but this enables unparalleled flexibility when shooting;
• Instant RAW: A feature in Halide’s reviewer to instantly develop RAW DNGs taken in the app. Normally, developing RAW files can be a time-consuming process with many parameters. Halide Mark II uses Machine Learning to process an iPhone RAW file with 17 steps for a great, immediately share- or editable result. Steps include detail enhancement, contrast and color adjustment and more.
Users only have to tap once on ‘Instant RAW’ instead of adjusting any parameters to get results.
• Pro Tools XDR: Halide packs the best professional photography tools ever seen on iPhone. The new waveform and color exposure warnings (zebras) are not only fast and accurate, but use XDR (Extended Dynamic Range) 14-bit RAW sampling, for truly accurate exposure previews and readings. Luminance and color histograms can now be tucked into the ‘ear’ of the iPhone or shown large on screen for extra detail and closer inspection. Focus tools include new, automatic and enhanced focus peaking as well as a focus loupe for achieving critical focus.
• A redesigned reviewer featuring a full metadata read-out for inspecting image properties.
• In-app membership allowing users to sign up for photography lessons, get perks like exclusive custom app icons and more.
• and over 40 other new features and changes.
What makes Halide special?
Halide was designed with our favorite object in mind: the delightfully tactile and beautiful film camera, without compromising on the flexibility and power of mobile photography. Gestures are modeled after the intuitive manipulation of dials: swiping up and down for exposure, and left and right for focus. The interface is simple and free of clutter, letting you focus on your artistic process. We pay homage to the design heritage of more than a century of camera design with completely custom typefaces and typography throughout based on etched type on camera bodies and lenses.
We have a small favour to ask. More people than ever are reading TheAppWhisperer.com and we could not be more excited about that. We specialise in mobile photography and mobile art and we value all of our readers, writers, contribu
tors and viewers but we do have costs and we do need to ask for your help. We at TheAppWhisperer spend many hours each day, each week and each month to bring you this high quality level of journalism. We do it because we are passionate about it and because we want others to be as passionate too.
If everyone who reads our website, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be so much more secure. Please help us by offering a contribution or supporting us with a monthly donation of your choosing.