We have a new section at TheAppWhisperer.com and it’s called ‘The Recipe I Can’t Live Without’, within that we are asking highly successful mobile artists to give us their one recipe (tutorial) they can’t live without in relation to editing their images. Kicking us off today, is Rita Colantonio from the United States. She has created a very tantalising appropriation family recipe . To read the others in this new series, please go here. (foreword by Joanne Carter)
- Vintage photo from Flickr Photo Trouvee
- I started with a backdrop that I photographed in Europe. I wanted a mysterious background so I applied sketch and toning in IColorama. Then I blended in a Stackables filter.
- I blended in the vintage child with her table and doll. I used a sketch preset in IColorama, then softened and toned her skin with a pastel tone. I also used an inverted mask and painted in texture for her hair, all in IColorama.
- I then used an inverted mask with a soft round brush to paint in textures and colors on her dress and the tablecloth, in IColorama.
- I then blended in the cat (from another photo of mine) and the butterfly with IColorama brush mask. I positioned where I wanted and inverted the mask to paint them in.
- I used an inverted round brush mask for the shadows under her feet and table and lowered the exposure.
- I then used a script brush in IColorama for the script at the top of the image.
- Lastly I opened in LightBrush and dodged and burned for shadows and highlights.
This is a composite. For me, scale and lighting are important to consider.
Hello again…please donate
We have a small favour to ask. More people than ever are reading TheAppWhisperer.com and we could not be more excited about that. We specialise in mobile photography and mobile art and we value all of our readers, writers, contributors and viewers but we do have costs and we do need to ask for your help. We at TheAppWhisperer spend many hours each day, each week and each month to bring you this high quality level of journalism. We do it because we are passionate about it and because we want others to be as passionate too.
If everyone who reads our website, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be so much more secure. Please help us by offering a contribution or supporting us with a monthly donation of your choosing.